Since the first edition was published over thirty years ago, this book has become the established introductory textbook for dental students, valued for its accessible, reader-friendly style and absence of superfluous detail. The fourth edition was published in 1991.
The new edition has been updated to reflect advances in the specialty, including implants, anxiety management and the management of traumatic injuries, tumours and facial deformities.
Table of contents
Preface to the Fifth Edition.
Forword to the First Edition Sir Terence Ward.
List of Contributors.
1. The New Patient.
2. General Patient Management.
3. Problems Related to Certain Systemic Conditions.
4. Emergencies in Oral Surgery.
5. Pharmacology and Oral Surgery (J.G. Meechan).
6. The Operating Room, Instruments and the Surgical Team.
7. Surgical Principles and Technique.
8. Extraction of Teeth and Roots.
9. Extraction of Unerupted or Partly Erupted Teeth.
10. Complications of Tooth Extraction.
11. Preparation of the Mouth for Dentures.
12. Treatment of Surgical Infections in the Orofacial Region (J.G. Cowpe and J.G. Meechan).
13. Treatment of Cysts of the Jaw.
14. Management of Maxillofacial Trauma.
15. Tumours of the Mouth and the Management of Oral Cancer (P.J. Thomson).
16. Treatment of Surgical Conditions of the Salivary Glands (J.G. Cowpe).
17. The Temporomandibular Joint.
18. Facial Deformity (K.R. Postlethwaite).